The Immigration House, erected by the Brackenridge Lumber Company, was a tall, two story, wood frame structure that served as a place for new immigrants to stay until another place could be found. It was a very important building in the early days since the two main religions - Catholics and Presbyterians - had not yet constructed their respective churches. Denominational church services would be delivered each Sunday at different times. The structure was multipurpose. It also provided a space where social functions could take place and entertainment needs could be met. Wakes were held since there were no funeral homes available in these very early days of the settlement. Sunday afternoon picnics offered everyone time to gather and visit with while resting from a week of intense work in the sawmill as well as on the new dwellings and farms.
Immigration House - circa 1900
Later, a violent storm damaged the building so badly that it could not be repaired and it had to be torn down. By that time the churches were built and in use and other spaces were available to take care of the immediate needs of new immigrants. Paul Kreko also helped by providing a place in his home for newly-arrived Hungarians to stay for a while until other arrangements could be made.
Kropog, Royanne 2007, The Story of Árpádhon, Hungarian Settlement 1896 - 2006 by the Residents and Descendants of the Early Settlers as told to Royanne Kropog Printed by Moran Printing and Emprint, Baton Rouge, La. in August 2008.
Mocsary, Victoria Ann 1996, Árpádhon: An Early History of Hungarian Settlement Livingston Parish, Louisiana, Center for Regional Studies, Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond, LA.
About The Museum
HOURS OF OPERATION
Tuesdays and the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month 10:00AM to 4:00PM
Also, open by appointment for tour groups and schools. Contact 225-294-5732.
Museum Admission Fees - Donation Only
There are no admission fees. Donations may be made while visitng or on our website.
It is located in the restored Hungarian Settlement school, and is dedicated to the historical preservation of the Hungarian community in Albany, Louisiana.
In the late 1800s, Hungarian settlers began to move from the harsh industrial environments of the North and East United States to a more desirable and familiar agricultural environment.
Our photo gallery features both historic and recent photos that illustrate the rich history and culture of South Louisiana’s Hungarian settlers. Also includes photos of our museum renovation.